Many engineers, engineering managers, technicians and facilities managers are not intimately familiar with electrical engineering principles and practices. Through this course, participants are expected to learn basic principles of electricity in a simple, easy to understand, format. The participants will be able to perform straightforward and common calculations associated with voltage, current, power and power factor. Charts and tables, as alternate means for current, voltage and power estimation, are presented. Practical examples of electrical applications, in industrial settings, will be covered. Discussions on electrical, equipment, components, devices and test instrumentation are included. Important concepts in electrical safety are introduced.
- Understand the principles and concepts associated with AC and DC electricity, and the distinction between these two realms of electricity.
- Understand the role played by voltage and current angles in the determination of power factor.
- Understand how addition of power factor correcting capacitors results in improvement of power factors and the mystery behind “addition of too much capacitance,” and how to avoid it.
- Comprehend and apply important electrical system concepts, such as, power quality, load factor and service factor, demand, peak demand, distinction between electrical energy and electrical power, and associated computation methods.
- Understand and gain appreciation of the important AC voltage representations in phasor, polar and rectangular forms.
- Get introduced to three-phase AC, “Y” and “∆ -Delta” configuration of loads and sources.
- Understand how transformers work and their voltage transformation role.
- Understand and gain familiarity with power distribution equipment and instrumentation.
- Understand the role NEC, and NFPA 70 E, play in the field of electrical design, electrical safety and arc flash hazard.
- Understand how PLCs work and how to interpret contemporary electrical control drawings.
- Gain understanding of how to interpret electrical one-line and comprehensive wiring diagrams.
- Understand how electrical power bills are calculated under large industrial and commercial contract scenarios, and take away some tips on electrical cost reduction.